Friday, March 9, 2018

Thursday Movie Picks #191: Just One Day



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Just One Day

---



I'm going for anything that takes place within a 24 hour period or less and I'm also trying to pick movies that I've not picked before in other TMPs. Here goes:

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
A mad general launches a nuclear attack on the Soviet Union. I tried watching this like 10 years ago, for only a few minutes and gave up. Tried again in 2017 and I finally get it. It's funny! It's about something so serious but it manages to be so sharply funny. There are a couple of scenes that have been used in a certain podcast and when I finally saw it in the movie, the whole complete scene, I could not stop laughing. I totally get it now why people say this is one of the funniest movies ever. If you've not seen this before, now is probably the time to see it.

Adventures in Babysitting (1987)
I can't believe I've not ever pick this before. This used to be on TV so much when I was a kid, I was sick of it. 

A Single Man (2009)
An English professor is unable to cope with life without his partner who died a year earlier. The movie is sad but looks so beautiful. Everyone is so finely dressed.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad you gave Dr. Strangelove a second chance. That movie is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three great picks. I love those films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked A Single Man but I forgot it only took place in one day. I need to watch that again, apparently

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried several times with Dr. Strangelove. Hasn't clicked for me yet. I remember like Adventures in Babysitting... I think. I always get it confused with Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead. I really liked A Single Man, but totally forgot it took place in one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Strangelove - for me, it didn't click on the first watch because I had not known much about the cold war. Ten years later, I knew a little more, so it clicked because I understood what they're satirizing.

      Delete
  5. I have had Dr. Strangelove on my DVr for so long and still have no to seen it....I have to change that. I have not seen Babysitting either possibly because I always avoided doing this when I was younger. I truly enjoyed A Single Man and thought it was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adventures in Babysitting - Haha...maybe you got tired of it always playing on TV.

      Delete
  6. It took me a couple of tries with Dr. Strangelove too. I can't say I love it like some do but I appreciate its skewed viewpoint and the performances are terrific.

    LOVE Adventures in Babysitting and just chose it a few weeks ago for the bursting into song theme. The entire cast is terrific but none more so than Elisabeth Shue who carries the film with just the right mix of panic and surety.

    A Single Man is terribly sad but beautifully acted, and beautiful looking as well. This is what Colin Firth should have won his Oscar for.

    I hadn't realized how many films were set within the span of a single day until I started looking for picks!

    High Noon (1952)-Just married to his Quaker bride Amy (Grace Kelly) that morning Sherriff Will Kane (Gary Cooper who won the Oscar for this performance) has quit his post and plans a quiet farm life away from the town. Word comes that a killer he had imprisoned 5 years ago has been paroled and is arriving with his gang on the noon train intent on a showdown. Ignoring advice from all to flee, including successful businesswoman Helen Ramirez (an outstanding Katy Jurado) his former mistress, Will tries to gather help to stand up to the outlaws but finds all the townsfolk turning their backs on him and he must face them alone at High Noon. A thinly veiled allegory for the blacklist which affected many involved with the film.

    Cleo from 5 to 7 (1962)-A young singer, Cleo (Corinne Marchand) must wait two hours for the results of a biopsy and drifts around Paris seeing friends and considering the exigencies of life. Part of the Nouvelle Vague movement this isn’t for everyone but it has its charms.

    Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)-“Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” That’s the credo of uber popular high school student Ferris Bueller (Matthew Broderick) who decides that today is too perfect to be wasted in school. After convincing his parents he’s sick he gathers up his best friend Cameron (Alan Ruck) and girlfriend Sloane (Mia Sara) for a day of adventure in the city while his suspicious principal Mr. Rooney (Jeffrey Jones) tries to catch him red-handed. Broderick is madly charismatic in the lead and surrounded by a fantastic cast including Edie McClurg who is hysterical as Rooney’s secretary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many movies from the 80's that I love, that I only just realised too, takes place within a day...like your pick Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.

      Delete
  7. There are a fantastic assortment of short movies which are critically acclaimed and you may also browse tv shows.solarmoviecom.com offers some in-depth insights on solarmoviecom.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...