Friday, January 13, 2017

Thursday Movie Picks #131: Fashion World



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.


---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Fashion World

---


I had read somewhere that there was some Fashion Week happening at some fashionable city this time of the year, hence today's theme.

The Devil Wears Prada (2006)
This movie turned 10 last year! How did that happen? Anyway I'm so not into into the fashion world but this one is great. It's sharp, funny and has crazy costumes.

Coco Before Chanel (2009)
The movie is about her life before her fame, like her formative years and the men in her life. While there were pretty costumes and some pretty shots, I just remember this movie being very very dull. I just didn't care. 

It Boy (2013)
A French romantic comedy which is sort of silly but I enjoyed it so much more that the Coco movie. A workaholic fashion editor in her late 30s is regarded as boring by her colleagues and boss. That is until they think they see her kissing a college student and she sort of becomes the cool modern woman to them. So she decides to play along to see if being cool again gets her a promotion.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 

18 comments:

  1. The Devil Wears Prada is definitely an obvious pick while Coco Before Chanel I think is a very underrated film. I haven't seen It Boy but I'll seek it out if it's in my radar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TDWP...yep it's the most famous one, so definitely the go to fashion flick.

      Delete
  2. I meant to see Coco Before Chanel for Audrey but I never got around to it. I also chose Devil Wears Prada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Devil Wears Prada is most definitely the title of the week tied it seems with the Fred Astaire/Audrey Hepburn Funny Face. It was really the performances of Meryl, Stanley Tucci and Emily Blunt that put it over.

    Haven't seen the others but I thought about Coco Before Chanel, thanks for the warning that it leaves something to be desired. The other sound worth seeking out.

    I went with a mix of documentary and films that looked at the darker side of fashion.

    Women He Undressed (2015)-Mix of documentary and reenactments tells the story of Australian born Hollywood wardrobe designer Orry-Kelly. THE major Warner Brothers designer throughout much of the Golden Age and a favorite of Bette Davis among others he also designed for films ranging from Some Like it Hot to Les Girls and Casablanca. Covers his often rocky early life-he was seriously involved with Cary Grant before either were famous, working in mob controlled nightclubs etc. though his successes and later struggles with alcohol laced throughout with interviews with those who knew and worked with him including Jane Fonda and Angela Lansbury. Directed by Gillian Armstrong.

    The Eyes of Laura Mars (1978)-High fashion photography Laura Mars (Faye Dunaway) is much in demand for her provocative layouts that have a violent often blood splattered tinge. She is climbing ever higher until she suddenly starts seeing actual murders through the eyes of the killer and he seems to be moving closer and closer to her. Stylish, with a theme song sung by Barbra Streisand, but rather sick this provided an early spotlight role for Tommy Lee Jones.

    Strip Nude for Your Killer (1975)-Italian giallo film of a leather clad and motorcycle helmeted killer who is wreaking havoc within the Albatross modeling agency systemically knocking off nearly everyone associated with it. Unsurprisingly based on the title full to the brim with nudity both female and to a lesser degree male as well grisly knife killings all in gaudily lit 70’s colors. A definite precursor to the slasher film craze that swept American films a few years later this bloodbath is set to a striking jazz score.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coco Before Chanel. Don't take my word, maybe you'll like it. I have noticed there have been a couple of well regarded fashion docs...maybe I'll check some them one of these days.

      Delete
  4. Streep was fantastic in The Devil Wears Prada, but I didn't like the movie as much. I feel the same way about Tatou and Coco Before Chanel. It should have been so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Devil Wears Prada seems to be a popular choice this week. I picked that one, too.
    I almost picked Coco Before Chanel, too, before I remembered there's Saint Laurent, which has better recommendation level for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yves Saint Laurent...definitely one that I want to check out some day too.

      Delete
  6. I forgot about It Boy! It was an enjoyable movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only seen The Devil Wears Prada but I wasn't crazy about it. Maybe I need to rewatch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think TDWP grew on me over time. The whole fashion thing never appealed to me, but I began to see it more as a work place comedy/drama and it worked for me.

      Delete
  8. Popular week! Never been keen on Devil Wears Prada, I think its the Hathaway element. Aha! I picked Coco too and you're right it was dull. Never heard of the last one but I don't think it would appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I definitely think others like Streep, Tucci and Blunt were so much better in the TDWP.

      Delete
  9. Haven't seen any of your picks. The Devil Wears Prada never interested me but maybe I should give it ago...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is Virginie experiencing pure cool outrage? Could that explain her stare? Of course I have to be the only berk here curious enough to ask... I'll have to see it now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...