Thursday, July 23, 2015

Thursday Movie Picks #54: Sequels



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each.For further details visit the series main page here.


---


This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Sequels

---


I realised I didn't elaborate on today's theme so you can go whichever way you want. I've always been picking bests, favourites or hidden gems so I'll be doing a sequels I didn't like pick and my choices are limitless. Be prepared to hear me rant.
 
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
I wasn't even a big fan of Thor to begin with but still found it entertaining and Tom Hiddleston was so good as Loki. Thor 2 on the other hand was just boring. Jane is so dull! Can we just cancel and have Darcy? And Loki! Why is he still running around being evil? Really? After Thor and Avengers? They've got to stop riding on Loki. What is Thor without Loki? Seriously it looks more and more like the Loki show than Thor's.
   
Kick-Ass 2 (2013)
I don't know why this one doesn't work as well as the first; it has much of the same things and yet still not enough if I make any sense at all? I mean the first was really darkly funny and this one just falls flat. Plus haven't we already established that a non superhuman can get seriously hurt being a superhero. And the high school side plot for Mindy was just too Mean Girls.

The Hobbit (2012)
Well technically The Hobbit isn't really a sequel. It's the prequel. Well you probably can't even call it a prequel since it took place before LOTR and was also published prior to it. So to not cheat, I'll just say The Hobbit 2 and 3 was worse than The Hobbit 1. What were they thinking stretching this into 3 movies. Well I guess I know. $$$. When I first saw LOTR I was mesmerised. The story was enthralling and the effects was I thought ahead of it's time. When I saw The Hobbit which is filmed 10 years after, I can't help but think the effects just looks so inferior and behind the current technology. Maybe I'm imaging it but doesn't Legolas and whats-her-name-lady-elf who had a short weak sort of romance look cartoony when they're jumping around fighting. Now let me guess...was this romance also made up for the movie? Seriously this is not how you throw in a female character into a plot. 

---

So that's it...my three picks. What three movies made your list today?

---


Check out some of my random Thursday Movie Picks
---


If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)


---


Participating Blogs/Bloggers

18 comments:

  1. The second Hobbit is actually a pretty decent film though I'm not fond of the final chapter. Btw, I'll be participating this week but might post it late Thursday (US Central time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure no problem, the links are open for a week.

      Delete
  2. Cool to see you go the other way on this topic. That said, I actually like Kick-Ass 2. I know everyone hates it, but I enjoyed it. The second Thor might just be a too weird for most. I thought it was okay. I'm in complete agreement on The Hobbit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally with you about Thor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...but they really DID turn The Hobbit into a prequel for LOTR, and if you ask me that's exactly what ruined those films and the real reason why it had to be three as opposed to two (which would have been fine, if probably unnecessary). I still haven't bothered with the third, and it kills me because The Hobbit has been one of my favorite books since I was eight years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't read the Hobbit so I wouldn't know but I think you could be right. Yeah don't bother with 3 it had the dumb Tauriel love triangle plot thing.

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with you on Kick Ass and Hobbit, but I actually really liked The Dark World. I liked it better than the first Thor, honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't care for the first Thor so I skipped the sequel and am not a fan of any of the LOTR films. Never saw the first Kick-Ass but I've been meaning to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only one I have seen is The Hobbit. I enjoyed everything about LOTR. I thought of "Father's Little Dividend"-love Tracy and Taylor together. "Naked Gun 2 1/2" because i find them hilarious and I love Leslie Nielsen and "Star Trek: First Contact"-Troi gets drunk and the Borg queen is actually sexy in a creepy way-Hooray for Alice Krige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only one of your picks I've watched is probably Naked Gun, but it was so long ago.

      Delete
  8. Wasn't too sure about Kick-Ass 2, still yet to see it... but great picks for the other two. Desolation of Smaug was so gad damn good, I loved every single frame. Thor:Dark World I enjoyed and thought it a worthy follow up but could have used Branagh's touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh...my picks are actually movies that I didn't like at all.

      Delete
  9. Have not seen any of these. Well, I saw the first Hobbit movie. It was pretty good. Quite beautiful, as expected. But I didn't love it anywhere near as much as the original LOTR movies. Need to see the Kick-Ass movies. They always looked great. Just never did it. I have little interest in Thor. But maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hobbit movie was beautiful as it is expected; they did reuse things and got the look of it all after LOTR...LOTR laid the groundwork...but everything else about the Hobbit is a mess.

      I recommend Kick-Ass 1. The second one is missable.

      Delete
  10. I think Kick Ass struck a balance between the humour and the violence. The comedy in Kick Ass 2 often had nothing to do with anything else that was going on and the violence was just too unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...