Thursday, July 9, 2015

Thursday Movie Picks #52: Road Trip Movies



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each.For further details visit the series main page here.


---


This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Road Trip Movies

---



This week is the 52nd edition of Thursday Movie Picks which means it's the one year anniversary!!! Can you believe it? One year? Time flies! Thank you everyone who have ever participated for making Thursday a day to look forward to.

Now back to regular programming; this week's theme was suggested by John Hitchcock @ HitchcocksWorld. I thought I'd have a little fun and make it another theme within a theme; I'm picking apocalyptic end of the world road trips. I mean have you notice how many people in movies go on road trips when the end is near? Quite a number.

Zombieland (2009)
So I'm pretty sure I've picked Zombieland in previous week's before but it is the perfect pick for this week! A college student travels across country to see if his parents made it through the zombie outbreak and meets a man determined to find the last Twinkie. Their paths cross with two sisters who have been conning through life and now the zombie apocalypse to go to an amusement park. Fun zombie comedy.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (2012) 
In this one the end of the world comes in the form of an asteroid that's about to make Earth disappear. Steve Carrell seems to play the same character he usually plays, a nerdy sad-ish guy like in Little Miss Sunshine, Dan in Real Life and The 40-Year-Old Virgin. This time he's sad because the end of the world is nearing and his wife has suddenly left him so off he goes on a road trip to find his high school sweetheart bringing along his equally depressed neighbour. Not as darkly funny as I thought it would be. More on the darker and duller side.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)
In this movie we do see life after Earth was destroyed. Arthur Dent survives the demolition of Earth which was made to make way for a new intergalactic motorway when his best friend, who turns out to be an alien, gets them a ride on a passing spaceship and so begins their trip around the galaxy. Read the book, did not get why it is such a hit. Watched the movie partly to see if I was really missing something and maybe get the book more. Still feel the same way, so I'd say watch it if you really enjoyed the book. I do like Marvin though.

---

So that's it...my three picks. What three movies made your list today?

---


---


If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)


---


Participating Blogs/Bloggers

17 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice picks! I had Zombieland as a bonus pick this week. It's been years since I've seen Hitchhiker's Guide, I need to watch that one again. I didn't care much for Seeking a Friend, but I liked that Keira did a film that wasn't a period piece. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's quite known for her period pieces but she does actually act in quite a fair share of contemporary set movies. The first movie I ever saw her in was Bend it Like Beckham.

      Delete
  3. I forgot how soon this one was. I've already had my post ready to go it just felt it would still be a while before it would go up.

    Anyway, I've seen two out of the three you chose. I'm personally not the biggest fan of Zombieland. There were some good ideas (the whole "list of rules" was an interesting touch) but the humor never really seemed to work for me. I enjoyed The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, though I'm one of the few people who actually got to know it through the original radio and TV versions first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Just the time the difference thing. I'm almost a day ahead.
      Oh I didn't know it began as a radio show, though I would assume most in the UK would know it. It was on BBC radio I assume?

      Delete
  4. Love love HGTTG! Also loved Zombieland even though I was slightly terrified - the clowns under the door! Not too sure of Seeking a Friend... - the pairing didnt seem right to me but its mainly because I find films, stories about the end of the world more terrifying that zombies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HGTTG - I guess most of the humour fell flat for me. But Marvin was funny.
      Stories about the end of the world more terrifying that zombies - oh definitely which is why I find them so interesting.

      Delete
  5. Great picks! Zombieland is a favorite of mine, one of the zombie movies I can watch. Seeking a Friend is a bit dull but I liked the team up between Carell and Knightley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't like zombie movies? Just curious...why?

      Delete
  6. Oooh Hitchhikers is such a good choice! Can't believe I forgot about that one. Love you other 2 picks too :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't seen any of these, always meant to catch up with Hitchhiker's Guide.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on a year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :). I haven't been able to do much blogging lately, but I'm determined to keep this series running,

      Delete
  9. Seeking a Friend... was both better and worse than I expected, in different ways than I was expecting. If that makes any sense at all lol.

    I LOVE Hitchhiker's Guide the book, but have always resisted seeing the movie because there's just no way it could EVER live up to my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeking a Friend - haha me too. Quite torn. Some parts I like and other was weak.
      HGTTG - Just watch it, you'll probably love it. It's certainly different from what I pictured in my head, but most books are anyway.

      Delete
  10. I loved Zombieland, but haven't seen Seeking a Friend for the End of the World or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great picks here. I love Zombieland. Great road movie! I also really love Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. Really quietly solid movie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...